Whether you are a fan of search engine optimization (SEO) or not, it’s still worth learning about it if you have a website. There are millions of websites on the internet, so the competition for ranking high in the search engines is fierce. Organic listings placed high on the first page are prized because of the amount of traffic they draw. However, it requires some serious effort to achieve these valued positions. Here are a few tips for optimizing your website and working your way to the top!
Tips on Optimizing Your Website
- Add a blog. It’s a fantastic tool that has a huge impact on how well you rank. Use your blog to increase the amount of links heading back to your website from the search engines. Create original content written for readers, and carefully use keywords in your posts to add deeper links into your site. Never spam your keywords. We recommend targeting one keyword per page or blog post.
- Build organic links. Links are useful in SEO and it’s possible to work on adding your own links, provided you have the time. Find online directories that offer the chance to optimize your listing by adding Meta Tags and Descriptions, as well as categorizing your site. Start by using Google Places and go through as many directories as you think are necessary. Review times do vary, and you should read the rules before you submit your data to make sure the directory is relevant for your particular niche.
- Socialize your website. Social signals are a big part of boosting your website ranking. Be prepared to get online and create social profiles on all the major networking websites, such as Twitter, Facebook and Google +. These can then be used to help increase your fan base and add links back to your website. Be sure you engage with users. Don’t spam your content. Think about networking and building a community, rather than just trying to draw in traffic for the best results.
- Improve your website. A website can be full of great content, but if it is slow to load or hard to navigate, visitors will not stay long. They also won’t feel compelled to return. Reduce your bounce rate by ensuring your pages load quickly. In addition, have a simple menu that is easy to use.
- Calls to action. On each of your pages include multiple calls to action, without ruining the flow of your content. Add a sign up for your mailing list and link to your contact information. Also, consider how the site flows as a whole, to help people find the information they need based on the content they have read.
Using simple optimization techniques like these will benefit your organic growth and can greatly improve your page rank in the search engines.
Blog Post Written by Spencer Powell
Spencer is the Inbound Marketing Director at TMR Direct. Spencer specializes in helping clients create and execute effective inbound marketing campaigns.