When was the last time you met someone who didn’t have a phone? Chance are, if you are like most people, you won’t be able to remember. That’s because as of October 2014 90% of American adults own a cell phone. 64% of those own a smart phone. That’s also why mobile marketing is one of the fastest growing and most attractive methods of reaching customers in the US, and here is why you need to use this, and how you can make your direct mail and mobile marketing efforts work together.
Consumers Tend to Buy Online After Receiving Direct Mail
The marketing data company ExactTarget found that 76% of consumers who received a direct mail piece later made an online purchase, and 34% of consumers will research a product or company online after receiving a direct mail piece. Since 34% of mobile internet users use their phone as their primary internet device, mobile is not something you can ignore.
How Mobile Makes Marketing Immediate
Incorporating mobile marketing with your direct mail makes sense, because it allows consumers take immediate action. They don’t need to call, go to their computers or drive to your store to interact with you, and since they probably already have their phone in their pocket when they receive your message, they’ll be able to act quickly. Here are a few ways that you can use this to your advantage:
- Most smart phone users will have a QR code reader on their phone, or can download one in seconds. Use QR codes on your direct mail pieces to save space, and direct customers to areas of your website where you want them.
- Use NFC (Near Field Communication) to embed information laden chips into your direct mail pieces, so consumers can read more information.
- Create stunning, interesting or fun interactive direct mail pieces using augmented reality. Not many companies have embraced this technology, so it will certainly make you stand out from the crowd!
- Use PURL to create unique, personalized landing pages for direct mail recipients.
Since consumers are already using the internet to research and purchase when they receive direct mail, why not make it easy for them to take action on the device they have on hand?
Tips to Make the Most of Direct Mail and Mobile Marketing
If you are seeing how direct mail can be augmented and improved by incorporating mobile marketing, then you might want these tips to make your campaign better:
- Make sure that the design of your direct mail pieces and the landing pages you send mobile phone users to match, so that there’s a sense of consistency.
- If you sell online, make it possible to make a purchase on the mobile landing page.
- Don’t require too much information. Mobile phone users do not want to fill in long forms on their devices. If you want them to sign up for something, limit the signup to name and email address.
Mobile marketing offers the perfect way to facilitate your customers’ research and make their purchasing easier. It can help to increase your conversions from direct mail significantly, and it’s not as competitive yet.